Many times a Software tester has to face new challenges while testing web applications and adapting to the prevailing situation. In the Agile model, the test engineers need to share quick observations on different use cases. And, there is almost no time to automate or to use the automation suite. So we’ve compiled a list of must-have Chrome extensions for testing web applications that can help a software tester for quick validation.
These Chrome extensions are little widgets that hide in your browser and can help you achieve your testing objectives. In this post, we’ll showcase some of the best Chrome extensions to speed up the UI testing of web applications. You can introduce these extensions in your regular testing work and see their benefits.
If you are a software tester, who loves automation testing and uses Selenium for web test automation. Then, please try your hands at our series of Selenium Webdriver quizzes.
7 Must-Have Chrome Extensions for Web Testing.
Let’s now traverse through the list of frequently used Chrome extensions for web testing.
Ghost Inspector is a web browser automation and monitoring tool. It allows you to record UI actions on your website within your browser. After that, you can sync them to the Ghost Inspector service and run them continuously as a regression test.
You can always save back recorded tests on your staging server and execute them via Ghost Inspector API whenever there is a change in the application. Alternatively, you can redirect to your live site and set it to run on a specified schedule or after a specified interval.
Note: You’ve to sign up for a Ghost Inspector account to use its features.
Great extension that works as its inventor says. It’s an invaluable tool that can retrieve HTML element positioning across different screen sizes. This extension re-sizes the browser’s window to emulate various resolutions. It is particularly useful for web designers and developers by helping them test their layouts on different browser resolutions.
It is one of the best Chrome extensions for web testing and allows you to perform the following operations.
- Adjust the resolutions as per your requirements.
- Set the screen width/height, position, and preset icon according to screen size.
- Apply the new dimensions to the entire window or just to the viewport.
- Supports global keyboard shortcuts that you can define.
Screenshot and Screen Recorder is a powerful tool that allows you to capture your screen and record videos, all in one place. You can choose to capture with or without a watermark, and you can even edit your videos with the built-in video editor. Once you’re happy with your creations, you can share them across multiple platforms and see how they’re performing.
- Screen capture with or without a watermark
- Video recording with a powerful video editor
- Easy sharing to multiple platforms
- Performance tracking
- Save time by having all your screen capture and video recording needs in one place
- Create professional-looking videos without any hassle
- Share your creations with the world and see how they’re performing
4. MindMup tool (Declared as Legacy)
MindMup is a super-simple, lightweight, collaborative, and free mind map cloud app integrated into Google Drive. It is an excellent tool for building, sharing, and affixing mind maps. It is the kind of app everyone desires to find online.
You can quickly learn to use this fantastic tool as it comes with a highly intuitive and user-friendly interface. It’s a perfect substitute for XMind and other similar desktop-based tools. It enables the use of powerful keyboard shortcuts and allows advanced users to get the most out of their screens.
WAVE was initially developed by WebAIM.org and is one of the best web accessibility evaluation tools. It provides interactive feedback about the accessibility of your web content by injecting icons and indicators into your page.
No automation tool can tell you whether your page is accessible or not. However, WAVE features organic evaluation and reports accessibility issues. All analysis is done solely within the Chrome browser. It ensures wholly private and secure accessibility testing. It can analyze intranet, password-protected, dynamically generated, or sensitive web pages. Additionally, it can test the quality of page rendering, and the dynamically-generated content from scripts or AJAX.
Perfect for web design. You would have used the developer tools in Chrome, but they can’t tell you everything. Page ruler is an excellent tool we regularly use in web design for positioning. It’s always accurate and straightforward to use. It is one of the best Chrome extensions for testing web apps. Check the list of features it provides.
- Draw a ruler on any web page and track page dimensions.
- Drag the edges of the ruler to resize it.
- Use arrow keys to move and change the size of the ruler.
- Display guides extending from the ruler edges.
- Manually specify values for the ruler from the toolbar to make precision changes.
- Enable “Element Mode” to highlight elements on the page as you hover the mouse over them.
It can also traverse through the parents, children, and siblings of the object you are measuring.
Lean Testing is a free bug-tracking and test case management tool designed for software testers. It includes many features to simplify and increase the efficiency of your software testing process. Some of the key features are as follows.
- An excellent browser extension to take a screenshot of any website, annotate it, and submit a complete bug report in seconds, without leaving the page you’re on.
- An intuitive bug report format that will help the team with exclusive details of what went wrong, how to replicate the issue, and on what device/browser the problem occurred.
- A simple test case management tool to create test plans and monitor results on a variety of platforms.
- A collaborative management solution to invite internal and external team members to a project and manage their roles.
Anyone who uses it would also love the complete, thorough bug reports produced by the Lean Testing tool.
Summary – Chrome Extensions for Web Testing
We always try to come up with something that is useful and can improve work efficiency. And, whenever we find something exciting and compelling, we share it with our readers.
In the end, we hope that you would’ve liked the list of must-have Chrome extensions for testing web applications. So, pick any of the extensions you want and give it a try. In case, you are already using some extension that is not on the list. Then, please tap the comment box and send us a quick note so that we can include it.
Recommended – More Chrome Extensions by TechBeamers
Lastly, use the sharing switches given below to distribute this post among your friends and on the social media of your choice.
All the Best,