In this post, we've brought up a detailed AngularJS overview for web developers who are planning to become full stack developers. Here, you'll get to learn about the essential elements of a web application created using AngularJS.
Let's look at the Core Features of AngularJS that play a vital role in its popularity in the web development domain.
AngularJS Overview: Essential Concepts.
It is responsible for automatic data synchronization, between model and view components.
These objects act as a reference to the model. They work as a binding between controller and view.
AngularJS defines several built-in services. For example, $https, used for making a XMLHttpRequests. These are singleton objects that get instantiated only once in an application.
It selects a subset of items from an array and returns a new array.
AngularJS provides the capability to extend HTML using new attributes called Directives. However, it also has a set of, built-in Directives. These Directives, provide the support of different useful functionalities to an application. <ng-app>, <ng-init>, and <ng-model> are some of the widely used Directives. We can even create Directives ourselves in AngularJS.
These are the rendered view that a user sees in the browser. It gets the information from the controller and model. It can be a single file (like index.html) or multiple views in one page.
It is the concept of switching views.
Model View Whatever
MVC is a design pattern. It splits an application into different parts called Model, View, and Controller. Each of them has discrete responsibilities. AngularJS does not implement MVC in its conventional way, but something closer to MVVM (Model-View-ViewModel). Whimsically, AngularJS team calls it as Model View Whatever.
This feature provides the support to encode the state of an application in the URL. In this way, the application gets bookmarked. Using that URL, we can restore the application to its same state.
AngularJS has a built-in dependency injection subsystem. It helps the developer by making it easier to, develop, understand, and test an application.
AngularJS Overview: Advantages & Disadvantages.
Advantages of AngularJS.
- It facilitates the developer to create easily maintainable Single Page Application.
- AngularJS provides data binding capability to HTML thus providing immediate response to the user on the view when data changes and vice versa.
- AngularJS code is unit testable, which is its very compelling competitive advantage.
- With Dependency Injection feature, the developer does not need to search for dependencies or make them yourself. It would be made and brought automatically, just by adding that parameter.
- AngularJS provides reusable components.
- With AngularJS, the developer writes less code and gets more functionality. Coding Data models are simpler with AngularJS. Moreover, it provides Data Binding, that reduces the code needed to put the data in the view, manually. AngularJS also provides Directives, which is separate from the app code. Thus, allowing a different team to work on it simultaneously.
- AngularJS, demands to split the application into multiple MVC components. As soon as, this work is done, AngularJS does the rest of the functions by itself. It saves us from the trouble of writing another code to bind these MVC components again.
- Most importantly, AngularJS applications can run on all major browsers and smartphones including Android and iOS based phones/tablets.
Disadvantages of AngularJS.
- The libraries must be AngularJS specific. The framework does not work very well, with tools or libraries that are not AngularJS specific.
- The framework works in a complicated manner. Only an experienced person can understand it and work on it.
- AngularJS implementations scale poorly. It means that, as the project grows, the developer may wish to delete the existing code and create new versions using different approaches.